York Yoga Studio Classes
- Hatha Yoga: this is a general term for the most popular style of yoga in the West. We offer Hatha Yoga for Beginners ideal for those new to yoga or who prefer to focus on the foundations, and All Levels Hatha for those comfortable in a group of mixed ability. Classes start with a seated meditation and warming movements before working in yogasana (postures). Classes end with a restorative savasana.
- Slow Down Yoga (Yin Style): In this gentle yet powerful class we will systematically move, stretch, breathe and deeply relax, creating space in body and mind. Practice includes gentle slow-flowing yoga postures, simple yet effective breathing techniques and deeper stretching postures to release deeply held tension, and will finish with a restorative yoga posture and a deep relaxation to allow the body to yield and soften, and the mind to become stiller and calmer. All this with beautiful candlelight to add to the feeling of tranquillity and restfulness in this lovely space.
- Iyengar Yoga: The Iyengar system of teaching is methodical and progressive, emphasising detailed attention to alignment and extension. The teaching is carefully attentive to individual needs and when necessary, it uses supports such as belts and blocks that allow students to progress in their practice of postures safely at their own pace, mentally and physically. The 9:30 Monday morning All Levels Iyengar yoga class focuses on foundational poses and is ideal for those improving their practice and is suitable for both new and experienced yogis. On Friday mornings at 9am Christine Rumley offers an All Levels Iyengar yoga class for those with some experience with this style of yoga. To book this 90 minute class, please contact Christine directly at email@example.com.
- Vinyasa Flow: Flow Yoga creates sequences of yoga poses that synchronise breath with movement to promote physical engagement and mental stimulation. This class develops strength and flexibility, and will leave you feeling deeply invigorated yet relaxed. Moderate to strenuous physical activity, not recommended for beginners to yoga.
- Sivananda Yoga: This moderate to strong sequential practice develops your strength and includes pranayama and meditation.
- Yoga for Strength: Yoga builds strong muscles and bones, and although we think it's all about flexibility, in reality strength is equally if not more important! This fun class focuses on controlling and strengthening those essential muscles which support us in developing a strong yoga practice.
- Kundalini Yoga: Known as the Yoga of Awareness, Kundalini yoga offers a dynamic and spiritual practice based on the teachings of Yogi Bhajan. For more information about this class please contact Nam Prakash directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pregnancy Yoga: Perfect for mums to be after 12 weeks, enjoy yoga practices, breathing and information to take you right through your pregnancy. To book this class, please contact Susan Bradley directly at email@example.com.
- Therapy Yoga: This is a course is designed for anyone wanting to improve their mental, physical and emotional wellbeing, particularly people living with stress, anxiety and or depression. To book or for more information, please contact Kathy Patchett directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pilates: Pilates is great for strengthening the core and improving balance and concentration. We offer a drop in all levels Pilates class Wednesdays at 9:30am and Thursdays at 6:00pm, shown on the timetable in shaded boxes. For Pilates classes shown on the timetable in unshaded boxes, please contact the teachers directly using the details given on the Teacher Contact Details page.
- Feldenkrais: This mindful method is also called Awareness through Movement and is a gentle practice to increase mobility and comfort, leading to improved functioning both physically and mentally. To book or for more information, please contact Julie at email@example.com.
- Meditation: All mind body practices include an element of Meditation, but we offer guided meditation group sessions at various times during the year. Please see the events page for the next series of Meditation classes.
- If you are completely new to Yoga or prefer to practice in a group all at the same level, we recommend that you come to the Hatha Yoga for Beginners.
- If you have previously done yoga or are comfortable starting in a group of mixed ability we recommend any class described as 'All Levels'.
- We offer stronger practices for the more experienced student: Vinyasa Flow, Sivananda, and the Friday morning Iyengar yoga class.
- If you are looking for a gentle and restorative class we recommend the Slow Down Yoga class.